Foreign-born children of Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be sponsored to immigrate to Canada.

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident may sponsor a dependent child who is currently residing overseas to immigrate to Canada and apply for permanent residency under the family class sponsorship program. A dependent child is sponsored in order to bring together family members who live in different nations in Canada.

Eligibility requirements for children

A kid must be dependent in order to be eligible for sponsorship, which means that they must be one of the following:

  • Are not married or living together as common-law partners;
  • Are younger than 22 years old.

Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form

Children who are older than 22 may be considered dependents if they:

  • Are incapable of supporting themselves due to a physical or mental ailment; and
  • Are under the age of 22 and still rely on their parents for financial support.

Are you eligible to sponsor your children?

If you want to sponsor your child's immigration to Canada, you must:

  • Have Canadian citizenship, permanent residency in Canada, a plan to return to Canada, or be an Indian Act of Canada-registered person;
  • Be able to meet your basic requirements, your dependent child's needs, and your spouse's needs (if appropriate);
  • Be able to establish your child's parentage;
  • Have no criminal history;
  • Not be incarcerated, facing significant charges, or insolvent;
  • Not be in breach of an earlier sponsorship agreement;
  • Not be the subject of an immigration examination;
  • Not be receiving income support, unless necessary due to a disability.

For Canadian-dependent children under the age of 22, the endeavour lasts for 10 years or until they turn 25 years old, whichever comes first. The duration of the commitment is three years if the dependent child is older than 22.

Quebec sponsorship of a dependent child

You must follow additional measures and follow Quebec's immigration laws if you want to sponsor your dependant child's move there.

In addition to the customary application at the federal level with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, you will need to submit an application at the provincial level with the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI) (IRCC).

Read more: Canada will extend the Super Visa to 5 years per entrance

Additionally, Quebec residents must sign an "undertaking" with the government and apply for a Quebec Selection Certificate (QSC). As part of the agreement, you must meet the dependent child's basic needs and, if necessary, pay back any government aid that was given to the sponsored person throughout the sponsorship period.

Finally, the time commitment required of a dependent kid in Quebec differs from that required elsewhere in Canada and is dependent on the child's age. The commitment is for a minimum of 10 years, or until the dependent child reaches the age of 18, whichever is longer, if the dependent kid is under 16 years old. The endeavour is only valid if the dependent child is 16 years of age or older. The undertaking lasts for a least three years, or until the dependent child reaches the age of 25, whichever is longer if they are 16 years old or older.

You can also read the latest Canada Immigration News and Draw Updates here.