Regardless of whether you are a citizen of Qatar or an expat living there, Canada has immigration possibilities for you.

An overview of some of Canada's primary economic immigration programs is provided below in case you are considering making Canada your next destination but are unsure of where to start.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), Canada's immigration agency, divides immigration into three groups: economic class, family class, and refugees. The economic class immigration path is by far the most common. These immigrants qualify for permanent residency based on their employment history, level of education, and other financial considerations. The immigration of family members ranks second in terms of volume. Under this category, Canadians are allowed to sponsor their spouses, common-law partners, children, parents, grandparents, and other family members. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), an authorized referral agency, or a private organization may refer refugees who are eligible to enter Canada.

Under its economic immigration policy, Canada welcomes hundreds of thousands of immigrants every year. Others may be possible to immigrate to Canada without ever having visited the country before. Some people enter Canada as international students or temporary foreign employees. The immigration programs listed below are a sample of some of the key entry points for immigrants to Canada.

Express Entry

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), and the Federal Skilled Trades Program all use the points-based application management system known as Express Entry (FSTP).

Free Canada Immigration Assessment Form

The most popular route for applicants who have never worked or studied in Canada is the Federal Skilled Worker Program. You must have at least one year of qualifying work experience and a minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of 7 on either an English or French language test in order to be eligible for the FSWP.

  • At least one academic qualification;
  • Must provide evidence of financial stability (if you don't have a legitimate work offer from Canada); and
  • To receive at least 67 points out of a possible 100 on the FSWP scoring grid.

For those who already have experience residing and working in Canada, the Canadian Experience Class was created to simplify the process of obtaining permanent residence status. To qualify for the CEC, you must:

  • A CLB 7 or above for employees falling under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) A category, or a CLB 5 for jobs falling under the NOC B category, and
  • At least one year of qualifying work in Canada over the previous three years.

A specific route for experienced tradespeople to become Canadian permanent residents is the Federal Skilled Trades Program. To be qualified for the FSTP, you must have:

  • Two years or more of experience in a skilled trade during the five years prior to application;
  • A minimum CLB of 5 for speaking, listening, reading, and writing in English or French,
  • As well as the ability to show financial stability (if you do not have a valid Canadian job offer).

You must be qualified for one of these programs in order to have your profile entered into the Express Entry system. It is possible to be qualified for multiple ones at once.

Also read: Program for Federally Skilled Workers

The Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) is used by Express Entry to rank candidate profiles. In the roughly biweekly Express Entry draws, the top-scoring applicants are given an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canadian permanent residency.

You can formally apply for Canadian immigration after receiving an ITA. After receiving the ITA, you have 60 days to submit your application. The IRCC then targets processing 80% of applications in under six months.

Program for Provincial Nominees (PNP)

Except for Quebec, which has its own immigration system, and Nunavut, the majority of Canadian provinces and territories are self-governing (PNPs). These initiatives provide candidates with immigration options that position them for economic success in their home countries.

The Express Entry system oversees several PNPs. A provincial nomination application request may be extended to eligible Express Entry candidates. If you are nominated, your score will automatically increase by 600 points, and you will almost certainly be given an ITA in a subsequent Express Entry draw.

The province’s own application management system is also used to manage some PNPs. To benefit from these programs, you do not need to be eligible for Express Entry. Your application will be assessed by the province in accordance with the PNP stream's requirements. You will receive a letter of nomination and be able to submit an application to IRCC for permanent residence if you are qualified.

Click here to find out about the latest Canada Immigration News

Gaining work or study experience in Canada

The floodgates to further Canadian immigration options may be opened by having work or study experience in Canada.

You require a study permit in order to enroll in school in Canada. Once you get a letter of admission from a Canadian university, you can submit an application for one. Study permits give you the legal ability to attend school in Canada, and work both full- and part-time jobs during the academic year.

You require a Canadian education from a Designated Learning Institution in order to be eligible for some immigration programs (DLI). You can obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) from many of the programs these universities offer, which will let you work in Canada for up to three years.

Also read: Examining a Few Key Canada Immigration Programs

However, you might be able to obtain a work visa if your studies are complete or if you are unable to pay your international student costs. In Canada, there are two categories of work permit programs:

Program for Temporary Foreign Workers (TFWP): To support your work permit, your employer must get a favourable or neutral Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). With the LMIA, firms may prove to the Canadian government that hiring a foreign worker won't result in the displacement of local workers or a downward effect on wages. The Global Talent Stream is one instance of a TFWP. You can qualify for accelerated work permit processing under this stream if you have a job offer for a specific tech job or at a specific tech business.

International Mobility Program (IMP): Since the work is deemed to be of significant benefit to Canada or is covered by a reciprocal agreement, no LMIA is necessary. The majority of foreign employees enter Canada via the IMP. A major benefit work permit, which falls under the purview of the IMP category, may be available to those who want to start their own business or work for themselves in Canada. You must demonstrate to the Canadian government that your business or self-employment activities will help the country's economy, society, or culture.

There are more than 100 work permit alternatives available under these two categories. Canada has more than a million open positions, and employers there must contend with a competitive labour market. One strategy used by Canadians to address labour market gaps, boost the economy, and improve the nation's quality of life is to welcome immigrants.